Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cupcake Bites

I saw Bakerella make cupcake pops on Martha Stewart last year and thought they were cute, but too much work. (And check out what she did for Easter! The picture at the end of this post is just crazy. This woman must make pops 24/7.)
Then I saw her make Cupcake Bites over at Pioneer Woman. I realize that they're almost the same, but somehow these seemed easier to handle.
After our week of birthdays in March we had half of a single layer frosted cake just sitting on the counter calling to me. So I smushed it up and formed the balls.

I melted some white chocolate bark and added a little bit of purple food coloring gel. I think I would add more purple next time for a brighter color. I put a dollop of the purple chocolate into the plastic mold. I think this mold was originally intended for peanut butter cups. Then I put a cake ball into each spot.
I was impatient to get to the next step, so I put the mold into the freezer for a few minutes to firm up the purple chocolate. It worked.

Then I dipped each one in melted chocolate. You kind of have to work quickly because the purple chocolate will start to melt a little bit if you hold on too long.

After dipping I added an M&M and some sprinkles. I think they turned out really cute, but I'm not sure I'd need to make a whole batch (40+ cupcake bites??) Next time I have half of a single layer cake sitting around not getting eaten I'll definitely make these again, though. The kids loved them!

No comments:

Post a Comment