Thursday, January 29, 2009

Turkey Joes

I made a conscious effort this week to not buy any new food, but to use up what I had. Great idea on a Sunday, not so great by Thursday when the cupboards are getting bare. My original idea was to make tacos but had none of the accompaniments. Turkey Joes it is.

I grew up eating the following Sloppy Joes:

Ground Beef
Ketchup
Mustard
Brown Sugar

Don't get me wrong, I love love love them like that, but they are a little sweet and are probably an acquired taste. Tonight's version was a modified recipe of Rachel Rays.

Brown some turkey/beef/whatever floats your boat. While browning, add some brown sugar and some steak seasoning. Once mostly cooked, add 1 chopped onion and one chopped red pepper. Let that cook for a little bit, then add some vinegar (I used balsamic, it was closest to the stove) & worcestershire sauce to taste. Cook for a minute or two, then add a can of tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes. Simmer until thickened. The original recipe mentioned something about toasted buns, but that's too fancy for a weeknight.

They turned out yummy...a little sweet, tangy and hot.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally picture your mom in the 70s standing at the stove cooking up some Joe's with ketchup, mustard and brown sugar! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete